TPB Copyediting Services’ Ethical Standards
The purpose of ethical standards is to promote integrity, quality services, trust, fairness, goodwill, and mutual respect. We have considered those standards we feel are most applicable to the work of TPB Copyediting Services. Our work for business clients includes copyediting printed content and SEO copyediting of online content.
Our ethical standards concerning our business:
- We will appropriately represent the services of our company and our professional qualifications.
- We will strive to deliver improved written content and apply content SEO standards for websites, social media, and other online content.
- We will not represent the work of others as our own.
Our ethical standards in working with clients:
- We are committed to fairness in the treatment of each client.
- We will not make false promises or guarantees.
- We will not do anything that could harm a client’s business or reputation.
- We will maintain our client’s confidentiality and anonymity.
Our ethical standards to the Internet community and governing authorities:
- We will not intentionally violate the rules or standards of search engines.
- We will not intentionally violate the rules or standards of social media platforms.
- We will not intentionally violate any applicable laws and regulations.
- We will not intentionally deceive visitors, mislead consumers, or “game” search engines.
Although we did not create these ethical standards, they are nonetheless meaningful to our business. There were sources we found particularly helpful, and we want to acknowledge their leadership in this area.
The first is a unique code of ethics established by the Thrive Internet Marketing Agency. The second is an extensively detailed code of ethics developed by Bruce Clay, Inc., a search marketing optimization firm.
In our case, we developed our standards based on a September 2009 article by marketing and SEO expert Thomas Schmitz. He devoted this article to raising several questions designed to reveal the ethical standards for which one feels most passionate.
We surveyed resources for discussions about and examples of ethical standards applicable to our services. Then, we chose the ones we felt consistently applied to our work with clients at TPB Copyediting Services.
Finally, we decided how to express each in a manner that reflects the values we hope to promote. We are confident our ethical standards will serve us well, but we’re sure they will grow in scope along with our business.